The SAAA Office is open! We will continue to practice social distancing and request that members call in advance of visiting the office. Please wear a facemask if you do plan to visit SAAA.

Emergency Rental Assistance Program for April 2020

Community ,
Do you have a resident who has been directly impacted by COVID-19?  Would you like to help them so they can stay in their home?

In response to needs of renters during the COVID-19 pandemic, the San Antonio Apartment Association (SAAA) has proposed a completely voluntary  Emergency Rental Assistance Program for rental housing providers who have residents who have been directly impacted by COVID-19 through a loss of income due to job loss, furlough or reduction in wages/hours. SAAA is urging its members and other housing providers to get involved and directly help their residents who are struggling to pay rent as a result of COVID-19 impacts and related community social distancing declarations. 

SAAA is encouraging members to participate in the program, if you can, by forgiving 25% of your tenant’s outstanding rent and waiving any late fees in return for receiving the remaining 75% of the rent from the City’s Risk Mitigation Fund. The effort will help leverage additional funding for the City’s Risk Mitigation Fund. The encouragement by SAAA to discount outstanding rent and waive late fees will help the fund assist more residents. To qualify for funding through the Risk Mitigation Fund, residents must be at or below 100% of the Area Median Income, show proof of unemployment and the inability to pay their rent. Those able to document a direct impact driven by the COVID-19 pandemic, such as job loss or decreased hours or wages, could qualify. The City will work with the landlords of qualifying applicants on payment. We believe, with rental housing providers’ help, more people and families in need will be helped.

The benefit of participating in the program as we have proposed is a streamlined application process for your residents and an expedited process for the payment of the funds.

WHAT DO YOU AS AN OWNER, OPERATOR, OR LANDLORD NEED TO DO?

Follow these steps as soon as you know your resident is going to need assistance:

1. Fill out the LANDLORD APPLICATION
2. Fill out the City's VENDOR FORM
3. Fill out the City's W-9 FORM
4. Have your resident fill out the APPLICATION FOR ASSISTANCE
5. Fill out and sign the LANDLORD/RESIDENT AGREEMENT with your resident
6. Gather all required documents:
     Hardship Supporting Documentation (what caused household to fall behind);
     Current Texas Identification for all Leaseholders;
     Social Security cards for Leaseholders;
   
     Income Documentation for the last 30 days;
     Lease Agreement signed by all parties;
     Completed and signed Landlord Application, Application for            Assistace & Landlord/Resident Agreement
**ALL FORMS MUCH BE FILLED OUT COMPLETELY**
7. Scan all documents and email  NHSDFairHousingDivision@sanantonio.gov or call 210-207-5910 to schedule a time to deliver to 1400 S. Flores, San Antonio, TX 78204.

As we continue to deal with the impact of COVID-19 and its ripple effect on jobs and the economy, it’s important that we recognize that rental housing providers are in a unique position in our society. Our members provide homes to over 211,000 families. We must work together as a community to help prevent the spread of the virus amongst employees, residents and general public; and, prevent residents from being displaced from their homes, while remaining conscious to the operational requirements of the industry and the essential functions of your businesses.

At the onset of this pandemic, the San Antonio Apartment Association, the Texas Apartment Association, and the National Apartment Association began working with public officials to put your residents and employees at ease, by directing them to existing assistance and working to provide support directly.

In addition to working with local leaders, we are encouraging our members and all housing providers to engage in early and regular communication with their residents on what measures are being taken to ensure that residents are safe and secure.

During this unprecedented global pandemic, the San Antonio Apartment Association wishes to show how much our members and rental housing providers care about their residents and to do our part to help our community get through this crisis.  As we continue to deal with the impact of COVID-19 and its ripple effect on jobs and the economy, it’s important that we work together as a community to help everyone who has been directly impacted by the pandemic.

If you have questions or need assistance with any of the forms, please email communications@saaaonline.org and we will be happy to get you the help you need!